Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween 2008

Man, I love Halloween. Everything about it is pretty fantastic, and has been since it began. Harvest celebrations and scaring away evil spirits and talking to dead folks and dressing up in silly costumes have always been near and dear to my heart.

For the second year in a row, Oach and I participated in the Greenwich Village Halloween Parade. Last year we went as Marty McFly and Doc Brown. You can read all about it here and here.

This year we continued to be really awesome with our costuming genius, and here it is, the Rev/Oach Halloween Costume 2008:


Calvin & Hobbes.

Special thanks to Bill Watterson, the creator of the fantastic strip for the hours of joy it has brought me, and also for not being a media whore and licensing his characters so that the market is inundated with C&H tshirts and posters and such.

Also, no, I did not walk the parade like that, unfortunately. The shoes on knees shot was taken for dramatic effect, but I was full height (such as it is) for the actual outdoors part.

This year we did not walk alone, but were accompanied by these unsavory characters:


That's Subastar on the left and Woot! on the right.

I like hanging out with them because it makes me feel tall. But anyway, Woot! went as a Mad Scientist, complete with homemade death ray gun that she refused to point at police officers, no matter how much I encouraged her to. At one point, I offered as much as three dollars. She's a tough nut to crack, that one.

Subastar is, of course, a Queen Spelling Bee. This being her first Halloween, Woot! and I helped with her costume and the one rule that Subastar volunteered was "I want a crown and wings." What would you have done?

Enough about us, let's see some parade costumes.

This guy we met at the line-up to begin walking. Good use of makeup, particularly with the small bits of glass sticking out of his face:



A passable "couple" costume:



These folks were walking behind us at the beginning, and only drew my attention when three spectator girls started screaming at them. "Yo! Why you ate her grandma??!!! WOLF! WHY YOU ATE HER GRANDMA???!!!!!"

I blame the schools.

Hey, anyone who's up for some terrifying androgyny, raise your golden hand:




Speaking of androgyny, here's Nintendo's favorite elfin hero, Link:


The Legend of Zelda rules.



"Hey look honey! I found a pack of Trojans in the road!"

Continuing on a the geographic theme, I guess:


A goddess and two minotaurs? It's all Greek to me!

Boo yah! Oh come on, that was funny (and hot).

Why so Serious?


Oh wait, I remember. It's because you're an uncreative doucheface who couldn't take time away from his busy schedule of anime and sodomy to come up with an original concept.

I know that by this point it's cliche to talk about how common the Heath Ledger Joker costume was, but I just gots to. In my opinion, there are two trains of thought that you could follow:

1) "I know! I'll be the Joker from The Dark Knight! No one's going to wear that costume! This is gonna be awesome!

or

2) "There are going to be a lot of people dressed exactly the same way that I am, but I am totally going to be more Joker than all of them. They're going to be all 'whoa man, your Joker costume is way better than ours!'" This is gonna be awesome!

Both of these thoughts are fundamentally flawed and just plain wrong. Ok, there are several more reasons to be the Heath Ledger Joker. Finally having an excuse to wear makeup and dress up like a nurse, for example. Or the desire to wear a costume that's so lame that you might as well have not dressed up at all, but that still requires a lot of prep time, cleanup and skin problems for the next week.

And Bravo honoring the character, PS. Because we all know if there's anything the Joker loves it's conformity and being predictable. An awesome costume? 1960's Cesar Romero Joker.


You scum know nothing of Halloween.

As you may have heard, about half of the funders of the parade dropped out this year, and that may have reduced the number and quality of floats. But the more things change, the more they remain the same. There was still the float bearing Witches in Bikinis, the most aptly named costume band I've ever seen.


I'll let you write your own photo caption about this seaman.

Ok, this post is running a bit long, so just a few more neat costumes:

Inspector Gadget & Penny:


Oh man! A computer that's the size of a book! God I hope I live long enough to see that happen...

A pizza pie made of individual slices:


hooray for group costumes and Witches in Bikinis in the background!

And here's one for you theater buffs:


A horse from Equus.

Evidently having Daniel Radcliffe ride naked on your back makes you very popular with the ladies.

I'm fairly certain the costs outweigh the benefits on that...




For the rest of my photos from before and during the parade, check out my photobucket page
HERE.

Happy Halloween everyone,

Rev

2 comments:

  1. Somebody's got your number, it seems:
    http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/10/30/113-halloween/

    ReplyDelete

don't spam me please!