Monday, March 31, 2008

Easter Parade 2 - This time, it's seasonal.

Ok, so last time we reviewed the fantastic feats of headwear exemplified by Oach and me. Now we get to look at people who also have some neat hats, but aren't as important because I don't know their names. Some hats were fantastic, others have glaring flaws. My job is to tell you which is which, and to offer suggestions to all of you on the Interzone who want to partake of this celebration in the future.


DO: Get creative with materials.


In last year's entry I wrote: "I would have given extra points if one of the children had been built into one of the hats. Maybe next year."

This year, Bam!


Baby hat.

I'm all for working on a hat in advance, but 9 months is a little extreme, even for me.

Ok, ok... I know it's not really a hat. It doesn't cover the head and he's using his arms (keep reading for further explanation). But come on, I couldn't resist posting that picture.

Also, winning the "not quite what I meant" award:


Children built into hats. I still like them, though.

Peeps was the big adornment this year. Oach had Mrs. Peep, we met up with the two giant peeps in the previous post and there was also a rude fat girl who had a Mr. Peep in her hat. I'm not showing a picture of her.

This woman got a lot of press for her hat:


This is a terrible photo of her, but hey, she made the papers, so I don't feel bad.

I'll give her a 9 for the concept, but a 4 for the execution. The sheer height of the thing is what's most impressive. She identified herself as the "Statue of Peep-erty," when, clearly, the better label is the "Statue of Liber-Peep." Also, I'm pretty sure she was insane.


DON'T: be a bad parent.


If you think silly hats are cool and that it's fun to build one, here's a tip: wear one your damn self. Don't gleefully produce a hat and then force your kid to wear it because it "looks so cute on her," or "the parade is for the kids."

You are a coward, a hypocrite and a liar.

Such was the case with this poor girl:


I haven't seen a less enthusiastic messenger of peace since The Passion of the Christ.


DO: make it a family activity


Adorable.



Ladies who lunch and a leprechaun cab driver.

This way, in the years to come your children can point to the photo album and say "look how much silly fun we had" instead of "why in God's name would you do that to me?" or "This is why I shoot heroin."


DO: Have a theme.


This woman was featured in my post last year, as the bearer of Coney Island's Cyclone. Here she is again:



This year it's the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory at the New York Botanical Gardens on her head. I spoke with her briefly and she told me every year she dons an NYC landmark, and rotates Boroughs (the Gardens are in the Bronx). I shudder to think what she'll do for Staten Island.


That's about right.


DON'T: Get overzealous.


Ambition is a good thing. It keeps us sharp, keeps us striving to improve. Ambition has brought us fire, indoor plumbing and nuclear weapons. It also got Caesar stabbed a whole bunch of times. In the words of Napolean Bonaparte (translated, presumably): "Great ambition is the passion of a great character. Those endowed with it may perform very good or very bad acts. All depends on the principles which direct them."

That being said, one should be able to wear a hat on one's head without supporting or correcting it with one's arm. By my personal definition, that's the difference between a hat and pretty much everything else.




hat.



pot of yams.



hat.



the Earth.

You get my point. Here are a few people that put lots of work into their Easter projects, and it shows, and they are beautiful. However, I would encourage a little more engineering next year.



It's pretty big, I guess... if you don't look at this:



The biggest.



Wedding cake and Xanadu themed objects.

Ok, I think I've exhausted myself on the Easter Parade for this year. Check out my photobucket page HERE for the rest of the shots I took. Catch you later.


Love,

Rev

No comments:

Post a Comment

don't spam me please!