Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Oh Winter...

So I got to thinking that I generally only blog when I have something to write about, or "feel like it." Well nuts to that. I'm going to nag myself until I blog all over the place. Ugh, fine... God you are annoying and sexy.

So today was kind of... well, mind-numbing would be an apt term. I awoke this morning obscenely early and looked out on my glorious neighborhood to find that Hell had indeed frozen over. I apologize for the cheapness of that joke, but I am thankful for the fact that winter causes many of the residents of Staten Island to locate the sleeves that they seem to misplace in the other seasons. But I digress. I woke up early to head into Manhattan and earn money. Legally.

Just a temporary thing for two days with a lot of data entry, but that's not very interesting. I actually overcompensated for the travel time, so I had a few minutes to kill once I arrived at my destination before work started. I found a small coffee shop and ordered a beverage to warm me. I don't know how it happened, but the woman working there seemed to want to turn my small talk about the weather into a competition of sorts. She started talking about how cold it was in the shop, and how once the oven it turns off she doesn't know what she'll do. I still feel as though I won, seeing as how I had come in from the street and was covered in snow. Still, I made sure to make sure she didn't add anything to my coffee that I didn't order. Paranoia's not just a river in Egypt. Wait...

Usually I use coffee to wake myself up, but today that job was done by the sensation of my testicles snapping up inside of my torso as soon as I walked outside. No, not really. That's another exaggeration. It was cold this morning, sure, but not that cold. Besides, I've been somewhat well-conditioned to the blustery weather.

Ah, I still remember the days of my youth when school was cancelled because of excessive snowfall. My two older brothers and I would play a fun game. We called it "lock me out of the house barefoot until I've retrieved the mail from the end of the driveway." In retrospect... good work US postal service for delivering even in heavy snow and freezing rain. But back to topic, those experiences and similar ones have left me with an ability to handle winter reasonably well and several deep-seated emotional issues that have yet to surface and disrupt my life/relationships.

Have you ever put your backpack on a conveyor belt to be x-rayed before going into the place where you agreed to be a temp, only to remember at the last minute that you left a pair of handcuffs in there? Well, now I have too.

Hmph... I guess that's all I'll write now. Perhaps a bit random, but don't worry. The next one will be my fantastic photojournalistic take on the Utica St. Patrick's Day parade! I'll leave you alone with the crippling suspense.

Later folks,
Rev

No comments:

Post a Comment

don't spam me please!